From:
Craig Cheslog <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Cheslog <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 1993 15:28:16 +119304128
Richard writes on Harvard's 9-1 victory over Bowdoin in women's hockey
action Friday night:

> Friday evening at Bright Harvard played a slow grinding game to
> eventually beat the Bowdoin Polar Bears.  Bowdoin's star player Nan
> Gorton was injured in the second period, and without her the match
> turned uneventful.

(stuff about scoring deleted)

> I was again highly disappointed by a cross-check to a players head.
> This time, Nan Gorton was injured and did not return to the game.
> Normally women's hockey is very clean.  Both the NU/PC match, and
> this match had ugly scenes in it.  Both times the refs. saw it,
> but called nothing.  I feel when there is intent to injure, the mini-
> mun penalty should be a 5 minute major.  In this case a game mis-
> conduct seemed closer to being right.  Another Harvard defender had
> run Gorton into the goal post in the first period.  Theoretically I
> support both the teams who committed the fouls, but I feel they should
> be punished.  I hope Nan Gorton is ok!?

First Nan will be okay. She suffered a concussion on the final hit and was
knocked unconscious, but she is apparently feeling better today.

I was not at this game, but I asked Bowdoin Coach Mike Woodruff about the
hit that knocked Nan out of the game. He didn't think it was malicious,
instead he felt that the cross-check was the result of a player losing
control of herself on the ice, and the stick just came up accidentially.
He was disappointed that she was injured, since he felt that it would have
been a much more interesting game had Nan been able to continue.

Craig Cheslog
Bowdoin College
Sports Information Director