From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 1993 01:28:48 EST
Ben Cloutier said:
>If I have heard correctly, Tory's ineligiblity stems from classes that
>he took in high school for a pass/fail grade.  Now he passed his pass/
>fail classes but the NCAA looks at a PASS as a 'D'.

You have heard incorrectly. His "pass" marks came from getting between 50-59%
in British Columbia. The B.C. marking system awards a "P" IN ANY COURSE if you
get a mark in the 50s. His ineligibility stems from getting marks that would
have failed him in several other systems, and certainly would not have got him
into a university.

>[...]
>But to the real point--------------------------------
>
>WHY IS A HIGH SCHOOL ALLOWED TO OFFER CLASSES ON A PASS/FAIL BASIS?   I
>had never heard of this before.  IS SOMEONE ON DRUGS????????????????

They did not. The confusion stems from the fact that, I think, B.C. is the
only place that gives a mark of "P" for a bare pass. I will say it again, for
the last time: In British Columbia a P = 50-59%.

>Ben,
>UMaine

John,
Carleton U.

--
John C.K. Edwards       ONLY _13_ DAYS UNTIL I GO HOME!!!! :-) :-) (Dec.19)
Poli Sci/Law III      GO CATS GO!!! (9-20)     TOUCHDOWN SEAHAWKS!!!!! (5-7)