From:
"Lt. Matt Jonson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 91 09:00:26 CST
Good to see some *real* perspective on these issues :-)  Referees of the world,
unite and throw off the yoke of spectator oppression!

<[log in to unmask] writes>

> The consistency that fans want cannot be achieved because the players are
> not consistent.

More importantly, IMO, the fans can't see consistency because they are
FANS.  Anyone who is at a game and claims to be unbiased is either a
non-fan or a liar.  Consistency is in the eye of the beholder.  Consistency
to a fan is catching every little thing that the opposing team does and
perhaps, for "evenness," calling one or two of the really obvious fouls on
his team.

An aside:
One thing that has always amused me is the way a fan knows the game's rules
without ever consulting a rulebook.

So, my argument above would rewrite that first sentence to be:
The consistency that fans want cannot be achieved because the referee
must remain unbiased.

Shoot, there went those fingers again.  I'm going to have to cut them off.
--

Lt Matthew W Jonson 	 [log in to unmask]	snail-mail:
Network Systems Engineer     205-279-4075	SSC/SSMT