From:
John Hughes <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Hughes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 1993 13:44:46 PST

> >That is one of the boldest predictions of the year.  I happen to attend
> >BU, and I'm not so sure I'd ever say anything like that out loud.  UMaine
> >is just so strong this year--they are stocked with NHL holdouts.  That's
> >not to say that I'm a fan of the Black Bears from Morono, but I don't see
> >anybody stealing the championship this year.
>
> Well, allow me to make the same prediction. As good as Maine has been
> (4 or 5 straight 30 win seasons, 40-1-2 this year), they still have
> yet to make it to the NC$$ Finals. This is nothing against Shawn
> Walsh or the black Bears program but obviously that has to grind
> on you. Just ask Mike K and the Duke Blue Devils (it took them like
> 5 Final Fours to win it all). I too pick BU to win it all.

When I saw the original seeding I thought, "That sly Jack Parker has
the inside track to the championship."  Maine had to get through
Clarkson/Minnesota teams (seeded 4E/5W) that were ranked lower, but
were on hot streaks including winning their conference championships,
and BU only had to get through Harvard/NMU (seeded 3E/6W).  With
Harvard reeling and NMU sqeaking into the NCAAs, this looked like the
easiest path to the semi's.

Both face tough opponents in the semifinal game, Michigan and LSSU, but
by crossing over, Parker insured that BU would not face Maine until the
final where anything can happen.  Of the two opponents, I think
Michigan has throughout the year ranked higher in the ratings and polls
than LSSU, so BU has an easier time here, too.  Maine has to be sure
not to look past Michigan to the final game, since given their record
and all the hype, everyone is gunning for them.  If Michigan upsets
Maine they may be flat for the final game.  If Maine beats Michigan, BU
still has the psychological advantage of knowing that they are the
cause of the only L in Maine's season.

My bet is with BU, but I really do hope that Maine wins it all.

-John Hughes
Amdahl/Advanced Systems
Fremont CA