From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jan 1993 14:06:04 EST
Erik writes:
>From Sid Hartman's column in the Mpls. Star Tribune, 1/22/93:
>
>     Gophers assistant coach Mark Mazzoleni has been offered the coaching
>  job at the University of Massachusetts and the opportunity to start a new
>  hockey program in a new $50 million arena built for hockey and basketball.

Wow, hockey-l scoops the Boston papers - as far as I know.  Thanks, Erik.
Can any Minnesota folks tell us a little about Mazzoleni, as far as how
you think he'll do and what kind of guy he is?

My latest Gopher media guide was 1988-89 and he wasn't on the staff then.
Last year's WCHA guide (thanks, Carol!) says he graduated from MSU in 1980,
so that led me to the MSU guide, which shows that he was a goaltender (#31)
for the Spartans from 1977-80 and ranks 7th on the Spartans' all-time list
in total saves (2094), 4th in saves per game avg. (32.9).  The Spartans were
not too good during those years (7-27-2 in 1977-78) and Mazzoleni's career
GAA was 5.39.  Must have had an outstanding defense. :-)  His last season
as a Spartan player was Ron Mason's first as coach of MSU.

Even a reply to me would be great, I would like to use this on the air
Saturday night in Merrimack's game against Providence.  Thanks ahead of
time...
---
Mike Machnik    [log in to unmask]   Color Voice of the Merrimack Warriors
(Any opinions expressed above are strictly those of the poster.)    *HMN*