Date:
Mon, 18 Jan 1993 10:14:00 EST
On officiating:
        I was able to objectively view two separate games this weekend as I
attended Harvard's 3-2 win over Union Friday night at Achilles rink and the
went to Troy on Saturday to see the RPI and Univ. of Alabama at Huntsville.
The officiating in both these games was IMHO pretty good.  Belanger and Murphy
as refs and Emmanation as linesman on Fri. night worked very well as a team.
I saw none of the things people have been complaining about this year (i.e.
missed offsides, calls coming from across the ice etc..).  I have to agree
completely with others who have sung the praises of Mike Emmanation, he
skated very well and controlled the play and roughness and certainly wasn't
afraid to step in between two players.
        On Sat., the refs were Belanger (again), Noeth and the linesman
again was Emmanation.  I see now why Noeth didn't make into the NHL.  On
one of UAH's goals Noeth got caught way out of position and Emmanation made
was right on top of the play to immediately signal the goal (even though it
isn't his job to do so.)  RPI had a significant gripe because Noeth who
should make the call was nowhere near the play but it definitely was a goal.
Also, there were a couple of *bad* offsides calls, especially in the third
period that could have (but didn't) broken the 5-5 tie.  Once again, Noeth
was at fault.  All in all though, I think the refs kept control of both games
and made correct penalty calls.

On Harvard 3 vs Union 2:
        Harvard must be kicking themselves.  They were bigger, more skilled
and MUCH FASTER than Union.  It seemed that all night the Harvard players
got to all the loose pucks and had more than a few chances to put the
game away.  But, give credit to a determined and scrappy Union team who should
all buy their goalie Mike Gallant his beer/beverage buy choice.  Gallant kept
them in the game with a solid and sometimes spectacular effort between the
pipes.  Also, Ted Drury is definitely the best player I've seen this year.
I was most impressed with his speed, and stick handling passing.  The expression
*soft hands* come to mind immediately and Harvard's power play was a thing
of beauty when he was on the ice.

On RPI 5 vs. UAH 5:
        Surprise (!).  Nobody should overlook this team as these guys from
UAH can PLAY.  Unlike the night berfore, UAH was not outmatched.  They
can skate, hit an played a very agressive forechecking game.  Of course,
I don't think I saw anybody from south of the Mason-Dixon line on the UAH
roster (a scholarship is a sholarship right ;-)) This game got very physical
in the second period and it seemed to play right into UAH's hands as they
came back from 5-2 to tie it up in the third period.  The last few minutes
of regulation and overtime were pretty good.  RPI had more chances, but
just couldn't convert. Once again give credit to the second goalie int
the game for UAH (Puppa??), he came up big at the end to preserve the tie.

Eric Hoffman
email- [log in to unmask]
Cornell '88, SUNY-Albany??
LET'S GO RED!!