From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Nov 1994 13:58:43 -0500
Well, I have now received a few messages from UNH fans regarding the
following excerpt from my post on Friday's UNH-Merrimack game.  It
seems clear that they may represent a larger collection of people out
there, so this should be clarified.

After UNH's 6-5 win over Merrimack Friday, I wrote:

>UNH deserves credit for bouncing back from the first period deficit to
>chip away and pull off the comeback win.  Starting dufflebag Trent
>Cavicchi was chased after the first period, and Mike Heinke came in
>from the bullpen to play very well over the last two periods, allowing
>only one goal while his team scored 4.

A number of UNH fans have taken exception to my use of the word
"dufflebag" as if it were an insult.  I won't excerpt here any of those
messages.

This is a synonym for "goaltender" that has its derivation in the
oversized dufflebag that goalies use to carry their equipment.  I am
sure most people here know the meaning, but I will explain it anyway.  I
first heard it 8 years ago from Northeastern SID Billy Doherty, and I
have used it to refer to dozens of goaltenders since then, as has Billy.
I have never used it nor seen or heard it used with any malice intended,
which is why I am so surprised to have received as much mail on this
as I have today - and I have been using it on HOCKEY-L for over 5 years.

It's also kind of disappointing that so many UNH fans have taken
offense at my other comments this weekend, such as my saying that the
team still needs work.  Last I checked, this was still an objective
comment to make about a team that isn't quite there yet, and UNH
isn't (as several other UNH fans agreed).  And the last I checked,
objectivity was still something that was prized on HOCKEY-L.  I'll
defend any of the comments I made about this weekend's series, which
included praise and criticism for both teams where it was deserved.

Perhaps it is an example of how people see only what they choose to
see...I have spent 5 years praising UNH and talking about how they are
one of the teams I tend to root for more than anyone else once
Merrimack is out of the picture.  And I have lived in the great state
of NH for almost my entire life and been very supportive of the state
university...my tax dollars are helping to build their new rink, while
my alma mater plays in the worst rink in the league - and I am still
happy that UNH will have that new rink.  And then this happens.  I am
almost waiting for someone to rip into me for being anti-Merrimack
after I said that they are in danger of falling off the pace in HE and
that their penalty-killing and defense have been pitiful.

So let's stop this "us vs them" mentality right now before it goes any
further, okay?  We are all on the same side...we are all supporters of
the great game of college hockey.  That should go without saying, but
maybe it helps to be reminded.