From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 27 Sep 1994 19:52:16 EDT
Thoughts on the Hobey discussion:

The criteria for selection for the Hobey do not necessarily predict
failure at the NHL level.  In fact, I don't see any correlation at
all.  The key is that the criteria take into account factors other
than simple excellence on the ice, which is perhaps the paramount
criteria in judging a player's future in the NHL.

The following is taken from the HOBEY WINNERS file.

>   Award criteria include:
>   1) Candidates must exhibit strength of character both on and off
>the ice.
>   2) Candidates must contribute to the integrity of the team and
>display outstanding skills in all phases of the game.
>   3) Consideration should be given to scholastic achievement and
>sportsmanship.
>   4) Candidates must comply with all NCAA rules: be full time
>students in an accredited NCAA or NAIA college or university; and
>complete 50% or more of the season."

Since the criteria require voters to select players who may have much
more to offer the world than goals and assists, it is not surprising
that many winners never went on to amass fame and fortune in the NHL.
After all, the Hobey is *not* a US College Hockey MVP Award, nor is it
an award for the best player.

The fact that some winners may not have been big enough to make it in
the NHL, or may have been better passers than scorers, or may have
played for teams that wore some shade of red :-) is inconsequential.
The truth is that the criteria that award winners must meet are not
the same criteria that prospective NHL players must meet.

On Lane MacDonald, he tried out for 1992 Team USA and stuck through
much of the pre-Olympic tour.  But eventually the migraines became too
unbearable, if I remember correctly, and he had to leave the team,
ending up as color analyst for TNT in 1992 and 1994.  Hopefully next
time, Lane will take that coat hanger out of his suit :-).

What Lane lacks in broadcasting ability, he more than makes up for
with his enthusiasm for the game and knowledge of it.  No matter who
was playing, Lane seemed to think it was the most exciting game he'd
ever seen, and he conveyed that feeling to the viewers who probably
kept watching to see what Lane was going nuts about.  That is
something that is very valuable - the ability to keep the audience
interested.  And as I said, I thought his knowledge of the game was
better than that of any of the announcers either CBS or TNT had that
year.  I don't know if he has a desire to go into coaching full-time,
but if he does, he seems to have the tools to be successful.  Barring
that, I would take his knowledge and enthusiasm as an analyst over
any of the professionals I have heard.
<<<<< Color Voice of the Merrimack Warriors (station TBA for 94-95) >>>>>