From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Apr 1992 12:55:14 EDT
...is that if Jeff Sauer is suspended for his next NC$$ tourney game, then
such a suspension is much more severe now than it was last year when Parker
& Walsh had to watch their teams' first tourney games from the stands.  Then,
even if you lost that game, you could come back and win the next two with
your coach back.  Now, if you lose, you go home.

BTW, both BU and Maine won those games.

And, I agree with Brian's comment that a coach is responsible for the
actions of his team.  Sauer should have put his foot down and ordered his
players (and assistant!) to leave the officials alone, ESPECIALLY after the
ugliness that took place following the ENG.  I saw him stand behind the
bench quietly while this was all going on, he didn't say much at all (likely
because he was emotionally drained).

I think Jeff Sauer is a classy guy and I don't support the suspension
because I think he should be punished, but because it will send a message
that needs to be sent to all coaches that, as Brian said, you must always
take responsibility for the actions of your team.  I believe he didn't in
his wildest dreams believe that what transpired could happen, but it did,
and that means it *could* happen again.

- mike