Date:
Mon, 8 Feb 1993 00:02:36 EST
Daniel Orchard-Hays wrote:

> The second Harvard goal came as RPI's
> defense broke down and allowed a semi 2-1.  Neil Little came well out the net
> as he always does but the Harvard winger played him perfectly and passed the
> puck to a teammate who was breaking down the slot.  One of the RPI players
> tried to hook the stick of the Harvard guy but couldn't manage to and the puck
> went untouched into the empty net.

They key to the goal was a beutiful pick by the Harvard right wing.  He was
 camped out on the right wing boards at the RPI blue line.  As the other two
 forwards broke through center ice on the RPI defense he cut in along the
 blueline and bumped into the left defenseman, disrupting him enough to get him
 out of the play.  Sure it was interference, but if you get away with it the
 result is a great scoring opportunity.

Speaking of rules....how about a clarification from the referee types out
 there.At one point RPI cleared the puck out of its zone.  It was stopped by the
 RPI right wing who was straddling the blue line.  He clearly pulled the puck
 back into his own zone to control it and set up a pass.  It was promptly stolen
 by a Harvard player who set up a very good scoring opportunity.  Several people
 in my section screamed for offsides.  I argued, however, that it shouldn't be
 offsides because RPI brought it in themselves (frankly, a rule which would
 permit a team to force its opponent offsides doesn't make sense to me).
 However, since none of use were really sure we didn't resolve it.

Note: Soccer has a similar situation.  If the defense rushes forward, the
 opposing forwards have to retreat in order to be onsides for a pass (i.e. they
 have to stay in a position where there are two defenders between themselves and
 the goal....one of whom is the goalie).  Are there any soccer refs out there?
 If the defense plays it back where it is stolen by a player who would be
 offsides (if passed by a teammate)...is that still offsides?

Jon