From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jan 91 15:56:52 EST
Jim writes (great commentary, BTW):
>                                      Students has a chance to raise their
>concerns, and the three panelists responded.

    I think it's great that they gave students an open forum to speak on
    this subject.  I can't remember when the last time was that I heard
    of this happening.  I don't think it happened at Merrimack.

>                                                                   He
>emphasized that if the invitation was from any other league than the ECAC or in
>any other sport, his decision would have been a definite no. But the ECAC is a
>very academically oriented league.

    It's unfortunate, though, that they hold this opinion about the ECAC being
    "academically oriented" and, apparently, that the other three conferences
    are not.  I have no problem with Union desiring to join only the ECAC, but
    using this situation to take implied shots at the other 32 Division I
    schools is lame.

>                                   He also mentioned that he originally said he
>would agree to it only if a women's sport would also be elevated to Division I.

    Am I the only one who thinks this is starting to sound political?  Why
    should a women's sport also be moved up just because Union was extended
    an invitation to join the ECAC in hockey?  Before I get attacked, my view
    is that if a men's sport should be moved up, move it up.   If a women's
    sport should be moved up, move it up.  Neither should be dependent on the
    other.  At least he (Pres. Hull) says that after talking to the women's
    teams' coaches, none were interested so the idea was dropped.  Maybe he
    realized that they have been unfair to women in the past, but I don't
    see what that has to do with the men's hockey team joining the ECAC.
    Anyway, onward.

>                   Up to 1250 of those tickets will still be given out to
>students and faculty on a complimentary basis, as they are now. They have no
>plans to begin charging the campus community to see any Union sporting event.

    BTW, Merrimack also still gives out free tickets to faculty & students.
    Ticket prices did rise last year, and that's where much of the additional
    revenue comes from, along with a chunk of the net from the tv contract.
    If the ECAC can ever negotiate a deal, Union would certainly be in on it.

>        Several people brought up the point that this money should be used to
>better the 22 other varsity sports, or to upgrade the Crew or Ski Clubs to
>varsity status. The point that these people continually missed is that the
>$60,000 in question wouldn't even be there if the hockey team does not move to
>Division I.

    This is a good point and worth emphasizing.  In fact, maybe hockey will
    draw so many more people that there will be an excess that can be used
    for other sports.

    It is important for the people at Union to evaluate just what they think the
    goals are in jumping to Division I.  If it is to compete for the national
    championship within a few years, then they need to think again.  If it is
    to become more closely involved with a number of quality institutions that
    are known all over the country - and that Union will receive more exposure
    through this - then this is definitely good.  And, if it is to ice a
    progressively better team and draw more fans to the rink when big-name
    schools come in, this is good also.

>                                    Some of the students against the move
>attempted to dwell on the possibility that Union would never win a game in
>Division I. It was pointed out that over the last three years, Union has a 3-2
>record against Division I teams, and that while we would not be on the level of
>a Cornell or Harvard in the first few years, we could certainly compete with a
>good number of Division I teams on a regualr basis.

    Actually, Union is 5-2 over the past three seasons against Div I
    teams:

    11/5/88 RPI 3 Union 4 ot
    1/28/89 Merrimack 3 Union 6
    12/1/89 Kent St 1 Union 4
    12/29/89 Union 2 RPI 8
    12/30/89 Brown 2 vs Union 3
    12/28/90 Union 4 RPI 12
    12/29/90 Alaska-Fairbanks 2 vs Union 5

    I think the students who feared Union would never win a game in Div I
    are worrying a little too much.  Hockey is not like football.  Only three
    teams in modern-day ECAC history have not won a game in the league
    season, and none of those teams went winless overall.  No, it won't be
    easy at first, but there will be a gradual improvement, and I am sure
    the diehard Union fans would agree that pulling a close upset win over
    RPI is much better than beating up on Binghamton.  Those are the times
    you live for at first, and you enjoy seeing the team improve.

    And if nothing else, Union certainly has Division I uniforms. :-)
    (Actually NHL uniforms, but I can't see the NHL expanding to Schenectady.)

    - mike