From:
"Scott.Preadmore" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Apr 1992 11:18:00 EDT
BRI Writes:

>Out of curiosity, are any of the big stars who signed with their NHL    <
>franchise like Beattie (or was it Hillier), Felsner, Pellerin, etc.     <
>going to return to get their degree? I mean, it would seem foolish to go<
>through 3.9 years of school and classes (I assume they went some of the <
>time) and not get their degree because of that last month.              <

I can't really speak for any BIG stars who signed with their NHL franchise,
but I was able to speak with former Michigan State forward Jim Cummins on
the subject.  Jim signed with the Detroit Red Wings after his third year
in college.  He said that he was planning to return to school during the
summer months and finish up his degree.  The Detroit Red Wings were picking
up the tuition/fees/room and board.  He also says that the Red Wings encourage
their young talent to go to school and finish up their degrees.  I am not
sure if the other NHL franchises follow the same practice.  I couldn't
imagine a young player not wanting to get a degree in something, especially
with the chance of a career-ending injury at any given time.

Scott Preadmore
Michigan State University
MSU Spartans                           Detroit Red Wings
1992 NC$$ Final Four                   1992 Norris Div. Champs