Date:
Tue, 7 Apr 1992 15:38:07 -0400
 On the thread of having the players themselves be MORE responsible of HOW they
 play the game...

 Occasionally I have talked with the Minnesota coaching staff and even took a
 class here at the 'U' on "Ice Hockey Coaching" from assistant coach Bill
 Butters.  It was explained in class that frequently, when the new crop of
 freshmen are being broken in and taught the U of M system, they must be
 TAUGHT INTERFERENCE!!!! What a concept?  The theory being that if team A is
  doing this, and team B is not, there is a decided advantage to team A in the
 final outcome. This is crazy. I know from personal experience this year, the
 WCHA tried to eliminate the senseless hooking, holding, and interference at
 the beginning of the season. Only to have EVERYONE have fits over all the
 penalties that were being called at the start of the season.

 Now, many of you know this but I will repeat for those who are not aware: the
 University of Minnesota has a tradition of recruiting in-state players and
 almost always American players (the last Canadian player we had was goalie
 Frank Pieterangelo, I believe). So where is all this interference coming from?
 Perhaps some of the people who have played hockey in college can help with
 this one. Is this mainly a Canadian "tradition" or is Minnesota the only
 state that for the most part does not tolerate interference from the younger
 squads?

 Inquiring minds want to know!

 On the other hand, John Haussler, thanks for the award. I like to think that
 the Gophers have alot of class, even after a tough loss. (This of course, is
 despite the nasty happening at the Civic Center after the loss to NMU, which
 was NOT reported in the local papers here.)

 Congrats to the Lakers on being National Champs!
 (And if so many of the Wisconsin faithful hadn't kept "badgering" me about
 where the Gophers were...I probably would have cheered for the WCHA!)

 Carol
 U of M
 GO Gophers!!!