Date:
Tue, 7 Apr 1992 01:16:52 EDT
Someone suggested that maybe some referee would be willing to participate
on this list (during the off-season perhaps).  I can't imagine ANY
referee wanting to participate what with all the negative referee
stuff running loose on here.  There is always something from someone
that is negative about each of them.

Maybe some of the complainers would supply their credentials before
or along with their comments.  And it isn't just hockey, but that is
the sport where we could be of help.  Why these guys want to referee
in the face of all the abuse is beyond me.

I don't like the way some things are done sometimes either, but I try
to see why the call went as it did.  NO ONE ever sees the play exactly
the way the referee sees it.  If the position and mechanics are correct,
I don't think you can ask for much more.  I personally would like to see
the linesmen have a bit input, but I think I've seen it in the CCHA,
informally if not formally.

And in some recent criticism, a ref was blamed for making questionable
off-sides calls - c'mon, that isn't the referee's responsibility -
at
least put the criticism where it belongs.

I'll resist the temptation to get any higher on my soapbox.