Date:
Thu, 19 Mar 1992 22:12:38 EST

> What are any listers planning to do in Albany on Friday and Saturday for
> entertainment?  I guess I could go looking for Gov. Mario Cuomo and tell him
> what I think of the job he's doing and how I wish he'd get out of NY politics.
> What's around other than the State Capitol buildings, etc.?  Any Hockey-L
> sight-seeing tours planned?  I know Howe Caverns is (was?) down the thruway a
> bit from Albany.  Is it anything worth seeing?  There's also the Baseball Hall
> of Fame in Cooperstown.  I was there as a kid once.

In Albany, you are pretty much limited to the State Capitol and STate
Museum.  Howe Caverns is about 40 miles west of Albany on Interstate 88.  The
Baseball Hall of Fame is about 75 miles west of Albany.  If you are into
caves or baseball, either would be worth the trip....and the moderately
adventurous could could probably do them both in one day.  Thacher Park
(20 miles SW) is beautiful for picnics in nice weather.  For the
historically minded, Saratoga National Battlefield is about an hour
north  (unfortunately, the Saratoga Performing Arts Center and Saratoga
Racetrack (the only horse racing track I would care to attend) are both
only open in the summer).  There used to be a harness racing track in
Saratoga, but I don't know if it is still open.  Proctor's Theatre in
Schenectady sometimes has Broadway touring shows (if you do this, go see
Union College....it will be a while before they have a good Div. 1
hockey team, but they have a very nice campus).

As you can see, Albany is an exciting town...just remember you'll only
be there a few days....don't wear yourself out.

> Can an Albany native provide directions to the Knick?  I'll be driving in
> Thursday afternoon via the NYS Thruway.

The Knick is very easy to reach.  It is right off Interstate 787 in
downtown Albany.  Follow the signs for the Empire State Plaza (Nelson
Rockefeller's monument to bureaucracy)...the Knick is right next door.
Parking may be an issue because the one time I was down there the
garages at the plaza had signs that said "No Knick Parking.">

Jon Greene