From:
Matt Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matt Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 May 1999 08:03:46 -0500
Published: Tuesday, May 18, 1999
Associated Press (Pioneer Press)

MADISON, WIS.

The University of Wisconsin Athletic Board has chosen not to extend the
contract of hockey coach Jeff Sauer, whose team struggled last season.

Sauer's team failed to reach the NCAA tournament for the third time in four
years. His contract runs through June 2002.

The board routinely extends the contracts of coaches as reward for good
coaching performances. However, athletics director Pat Richter said not
extending Sauer's contract ``reflects that we need to get the program back
to the traditional success the Wisconsin program has had in the past.''

``Obviously, in discussions with Jeff, we recognize we haven't been as
successful as we both want to be,'' Richter said. ``We anticipate things
getting better. There's a bright outlook with good recruits and good
players returning.''

Sauer's 17-season coaching record at Wisconsin is 420-263-37, but in the
past four seasons, his teams have been 73-74-10.

The St. Paul native has taken the Badgers to the NCAA tournament 10 times
and coached them to the title twice, in 1983 and '90. Nine of those 10
appearances came in his first 13 seasons.

Last season, the Badgers finished fourth in the Western Collegiate Hockey
Association with a 13-12-3 record. Overall, they finished 15-19-4.

UW associate athletics director Mike Moss recommended Sauer not get the
extension.

``From my perspective, things are good,'' Moss said. ``We just need them to
be better.''

Sauer said Monday he had been out of town and had not heard the news.
However, he said there is enough time left on his contract to improve the
team, and he said he didn't feel pressure.

``It just makes us all work harder,'' he said. ``I think we're going to
have a good year next year.''