From:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Aug 1998 11:09:23 -0500
DB Doucette writes:

>Boston Bruins President/GM Harry Sinden was interviewed on WBZ Radio in
>Boston, the team's radio station, on Sunday 8/23.  Asked to speculate on
>next year's roster and to mention their off-season acquisitions, he failed
>to name recently signed ex-Black Bear Peter Ferraro.
>
>Oh, well, as I feared, Ferraro appears to be destined to the same fate as
>fellow Maine alumnus (and recently released from the Bruins) Jean-Yves Roy
>-- exile with the Baby B's in Providence of the AHL, and perhaps an
>occasional visit to the big club for a token shift or two.
>
>It would, seemingly, take a miracle in traning camp for Ferraro to make the
>Bruins roster on Opening Day.

When Ferraro (and some other long time minor leaguers) signed, Mike
O'Connell, Bruins' assistant GM emphasized that they took place because the
organization was unhappy with the performance of the Providence B's last
year.  Clearly they want to create some depth down there to increase
competition for playing time and, theoretically, boost the calibre of
players who can make the move to the big club.

IMHO Ferraro is not the player that Roy is so you're right, he will have
less of a chance to make the Bruins that Jean Yves, who I have always
thought was a tremendous player for Maine.

BTW, I find it typical Harry Sinden to worry about the Providence club
while ignoring the future of the parent club.  These public negotiations
with Jason Allison (their best player) are ridiculous.  But then, what do
yoy expect from an organization that cares little for winning the Stanley
Cup, as long as they make the bogus playoffs?  Why I hate the NHL.

Greg Ambrose