From:
Craig Lisko <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 19 Jun 1997 10:33:55 -0400
I agree with the statement that the USHL should try and be more of a
developmental league for college hockey. I also need to say that Canada,
and you alll know that's where I'm from, just simply has a much larger
number of players playing hockey than in the US. Is this changing,
absolutely.

Major Junior hockey players in Canada, as everyone refers to them, are most
likely not interested in going to school. They are the well-developed and
highly-skilled hockey players who will play in the NHL at 19 or 20 years of
age. Why would this individual want to wait until they are 24 to try and
crack the NHL.

What everyone needs to know is that in Ontario, there are Major Junior
Hockey teams (OHL). After that there are around 15-20 Junior A teams
(equivalent of USHL, eligible to play college hockey). Next there are
probably 100 Junior B teams (Junior B in Canada vs Junior B in the US are
vastly different) Not to sound biased but they hockey is better in Canada.
Then there are about 100 Junior C hockey teams. Realistically, very few
players come to college from Junior C, but the teams are there.

My point is... the USHL has ?( 12 teams, I don;t know the exact number) x
20 players = around 240 players. Great for college hockey. But there are
simply more players to choose from in Canada.

FWIW, I played Junior B before I went to Ferris. My league had 9 teams all
within 1 (one) hour of each other. Just to give you an idea of how many
teams there are.

Craig Lisko
Ferris State 1990-1994

 (Embedded