From:
Josh Kleinbaum <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Josh Kleinbaum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Feb 1997 16:41:03 -0500
John Haeussler ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>assist on Matt Herr's goal.  The entire UM bench emptied onto
>the ice to congratulate him.  I assumed this would be a delay
>of game penalty, but apparently the zebras OK'ed it (in advance?).

        According to today's Michigan Daily, during the second intermission the
head of officials told the officiating crew to let Michigan celebrate.  The
problem was, no one told Dave Poulin of this decision, and he was not happy
about it at all.
        As to the rest of John's comments, I didn't see Friday's game, so I won't
comment on that.  On Saturday, Notre Dame seemed to be playing cheap
hockey, especially in the third period, after Morrison set the points
record.  I don't know if Poulin was so unhappy with the celebration that he
told his team to be more "physical", but there was a definate shift in
Notre Dame's style of play after the celebration.  It seemed that Michigan
had a handful of power plays in the last 15 minutes of the game, and even
about a minute of five on three, if my memory is correct (which they didn't
convert on, I might add).  Based on John's comments of Friday's game, and
what I saw on Saturday, I lost a lot of respect for Poulin and Notre Dame's
program as a whole (although up in Ann Arbor, we've never held a fond place
in our hearts for Notre Dame).
        As for the officiating, well, what can be said about CCHA officiating?  It
seems that no matter who they put out there, he does a terrible job.  The
Yost fans even broke out the "We want Shegos" cheer at one point in the
game.  I don't know about the other conferences, but CCHA officials are
just hurrendous.  The CCHA office has to do something about it this offseason.

                                        -Josh

        "What would you do if you ate your daddy's shoes?"