From:
Joe Davison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joe Davison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Feb 1997 17:31:23 -0500
Chuck Henderson asks:

<< On the second challenge, Stelljes apparently broke his stick to
destroy the evidence, resulting in a delay of game.  Does anyone
have an opinion on Cornell's delay-of-game penalty in the first
period on which Vermont scored 3 seconds in, sending Cornell's
game down hill for a period and a half thereafter?  It sounded
from the radio like a needless call, with Cole unhappy with
Cornell's slowness to line up for a faceoff.  I know Cole is one
of the East's best officials, but this sounded like too much
personal involvement so early in an important game. >>

The call by Cole was actually a brave one.   On this occasion, Cole had
clearly raised his hand and signified no more changes. UVM made their last
change.  Then Cornell defenseman Steve Wilson took the ice. Cole pointed
him off the ice several times, with Wilson continuing to skate into the
defensive zone for the face off. Cole gestured to the bench several times
for the defenseman whom had left the ice to return for the draw. The
matter continued for about 30 seconds, with Cole directly speaking with
Wilson. Then, Cole appeared to lose patience with Wilson not even moving
towards the bench and called the penalty.

Numerous games at the Gut this year have involved opposing coaches trying
to get the last change over the Cats. This has resulted in several delays
as the ref tried to hunt down which skaters had previously been on the
ice. I thought that the call was appropriate, but then again, I am also a
fan of UVM!!.