From:
Chuck Henderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chuck Henderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Feb 1997 14:43:21 -0500
John Whelan asks

>         The box and game report (thanks, Maria McClellan!) for Saturday's
> Cornell-Vermont contest indicate that the second Cornell goal, at 12:04
> of the second, was scored 6-on-5.  Was this on a delayed penalty?  It
> seems too early to pull the goalie for any other reason.

This was on a delayed penalty.  Another situation that might not
have been clear from Maria's report was the second challenge of an
illegal stick:

>         Tymchyshyn's man-up goal at 16:18 came while UVM defenseman Eric
> Hallman was in the penalty box for an illegal stick.  The call came after
> his stick had been challenged by Cornell coach Mike Schafer.  Less than
> three minutes later, Schafer challenged the legality of another UVM
> player's stick, leading to yet another UVM penalty, this time a delay of
> game call.  Vermont killed off the penalty before yielding Wilson's
> six-on-five goal.

On the second challenge, Stelljes apparently broke his stick to
destroy the evidence, resulting in a delay of game.  Does anyone
have an opinion on Cornell's delay-of-game penalty in the first
period on which Vermont scored 3 seconds in, sending Cornell's
game down hill for a period and a half thereafter?  It sounded
from the radio like a needless call, with Cole unhappy with
Cornell's slowness to line up for a faceoff.  I know Cole is one
of the East's best officials, but this sounded like too much
personal involvement so early in an important game.

--
Chuck Henderson  <[log in to unmask]>