From:
"Greg R. Berge" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Greg R. Berge
Date:
Sat, 18 Jan 1997 11:34:31 -0500
Chris Craig wrote:

> Mowers and his RiverHawk counterpart got something like triple-minors
> and 10-minute misconducts, which shouldn't result in any suspensions
> either.

Which brings up the question of when you call a DQ.  Is it strictly a case
of removing the player(s) from the game to avoid probable future mahem?  In
that case, there's no point in imposing this penalty with less than 10 min
remaining.  (Theoretically, you could call 2+ misconducts for that matter
-- though has anybody ever seen that done?)

Someone wrote concerning the UVM-SLU game that Perrin and St. Louis are
unduly hassled by opponents.  I must say that in the UVM games I have
observed opponents try this strategy for roughly 10 minutes -- that is the
amount of time it takes for teams to realize that just breathing on either
of those players will draw two minutes of self-reflection.  Smart, skilled
players eventually learn how to influence the refs, and the Elves are among
the best at doing so.  (Contrariwise, I've seen Thomas annoy refs so much
that I was a little surprised that the controversial call in the SLU game
was for running him.  He is clearly not on the ECAC witness protection
program :-)

Greg Berge
Cornell University
1995-96 Men's and Women's Ivy League Champs
1995-96 Men's ECAC Champs