From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Dec 1996 02:53:30 -0400
At 10:46 AM -0500 12/6/96, Paul Gentile wrote:

> This was in the defensive zone while Lowell was killing a penalty. Cole
> stood over Golden while the puck was being contested behind the net.
> He didn't blow his whistle. Then the puck came out and Northeastern
> started working a 5-on-3 power play for a good 15 seconds ... all while
> Cole stood over Golden. It wasn't until Lowell grabbed a rebound and
> cleared that Cole blew his whistle. I thought this was preposterous and
> yet just another obvious sign of Cole's poor officiating.

According to Rule 2-6-d, if a player is injured, "play shall not be stopped
until the injured player's team has secured possession of the puck."
However, the note to this rule says that if the injury is serious, play
shall be stopped immediately.  It's likely that Cole did not think the
injury was serious enough and it sounds like he was doing his best to
determine this.

> Whether or not this should have or shouldn't have .... the linesman took a
> look at the clock right before he blew his whistle...indicating he probably
> never considered the state of affairs when the puck was actually
> cleared.
>
> I thought it should have been waived off when it left the Lowell zone.

Note 2 to Rule 6-23-a says that "if the puck is shot before the penalty
expires, icing shall not be called."  However, it also says that "the
decision as to whether icing has occurred shall be determined at the
instant the penalty expires."  Perhaps at that instant it was determined to
have been icing, but Rick's description does make it sound as if a mistake
was made.  I don't know since I wasn't there.

Mike Machnik                [log in to unmask]               *HMM* 11/13/93
*****   (Part-Time) Color Voice of Merrimack Hockey  WCAP 980 AM    *****