From:
Jim Zarnick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 19 Nov 1996 20:57:53 -0500

<< >> I've never heard of such an exception to the off-sides rule.   I
 > >thought that rule was iron-clad -- the puck MUST precede any and all
 > >attacking players.  Any comments from our hockey rules experts???

 >> Dr. Stephen E. Roth              [log in to unmask]
 >
 >The rules state "A player in full control of the puck who crosses the
 >blue line ahead of the puck shall not be considered offsides."  1997
 >NCAA Rule Book, page 69 Section 32 b NOTE.
 >
 >On page 75, "Control of the puck" is defined as the act of propelling
 >the puck with the stick.  Hence, most refs/linesmen use the
 >rule-of-thumb, if the puck is on the tape when the player crosses the
 >blue line, then he/she is in control of the puck.

 I'm glad someone quoted the rule book, because I would have thought
 otherwise. Reflecting on the many games that I've attended (college & pro),
 I can honestly say that I don't recall EVER seeing a skater with control of
the
 puck cross the blue line backwards.  I could see it happening if a player
had
 to try & deke a defenseman who was standing them up at the line.  Or, if a
 player was skating backwards along the line waiting for the puck from a
 teammate, then getting control just before they crossed the line first (so
that
 their backward momentum carried them in before the puck).  And I'm sure
 there are other possibilities as well.  I just don't recall noticing any of
 them.

I've tried to send a response to this before but don't think it got through
so let me try again.

I've officiated since 77 (college since 81) and the rule for offsides has
always been this way. The player in control of the puck can proceed the puck
across the line. You have probably seen this many times. How many times have
you seen a player catch a pass at the blue behind him and pull the puck in
front of him as (or after) he's crossed the blue line? As long as the puck
stays on the stick during the process that player is onside by definition.

Jim Z.