From:
Bill Schneller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Schneller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Oct 1996 07:59:24 -0400
I've been told by two independent sources (which hopefully puts this beyond
just being a widely distributed rumor) that coach Paul Pooley has assured
Providence that he intends to extend his contract. The original three year
deal which brought Pooley to Providence expires this year. It is unclear if
a new agreement has already been signed or will wait until later in the year.

This would be great news for the Friar faithful whose biggest fear has been
losing the coach who has returned the program to respectability. Pooley
turned the program around in his first year, bringing the black and white
all the way to the Hockey East championship game. Last year, the Friars, who
were picked to finish 7th in the preseason coach's poll, took the next step
by upsetting BU and Maine to earn their first HE championship since 1985,
and an NC$$ bid.

On another matter, a recent Providence Journal article on this year's
pre-season coach's poll (which pegged the Friars for 5th) included quotes
from BU's Jackie Parker that he expects Providence to do much better than
that. What the article didn't say was who he would have moved down on the
list. Did anyone who reads the Boston rags notice if they included more info
on his picks?  (I ask the question partially tongue in cheek, but you never
know.)  BTW, since he is the dean of HE coaches, and from their recent
history and what I've seen of the team thus far this year, I'd have to agree
with Mr. Parker, but then again, I'm biased.

Finally, the 1996 Hockey East Championship banner will be raised Saturday
prior to the team's league home opener vs Merrimack.

--Bill