From:
Richard Tuthill <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Tuthill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Aug 1996 00:36:31 UT
        I'm not sure this will get through since I am not a list member for the
summer months,  but I thought I'd try anyway.   I have not seen this in the
archives.

        About a month ago,  Quinnipiac College in Hamden,  CT,  announced it was
upgrading all sixteen varsity sports to D-1 status.   All that remained was to
get NCAA approval and find a conference for each sport.   The budget to do
this is reportedly already in hand.

        I suspect that this means nothing to the hockey program immediately.   They
will still probably play in the ECAC N-S-C which is a bit below the level of
East-West for those of you not into D-3.   I believe Fairfield and Villanova
are the other two D-1 schools at this level.   I have not heard whether QC
plans an upgrade of the hockey program long term to either E-W or true D-1,
but I suspect not.   They probably are doing this to play basketball at a
higher level.

        -- Dick Tuthill