From:
"Kevin B. Powers" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kevin B. Powers
Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 1996 00:08:22 -0400
On Tue, 23 Apr 1996, Deron Treadwell wrote:

> According to a person close to Hockey East official Frank Cole, the NCAA is
> going to consider, and likely pass a rule change that will forbid carrying
> of the puck on the blade of the stick as Mike Legg did when he scored
> against Minnesota in the a 1996 NCAA Quarterfinal game.
>
> This source says that Cole believes that a rule change will be enacted
> because of the concern (the NCAA's not necessarily Frank Cole) that players
> will begin carrying the puck on the blade of the stick all over the ice.

[snip]

> The question is, is such a rule necessary??  Now.. discuss!  :-)

Absolutely NOT.  One bump, and you drop the puck.  The last time I
looked, hockey was a contact sport.  The situation has to be perfect to
execute the "DO IT shot" as former WMU player Bill Armstrong calls it.
Last year, a local Albany TV sports reporter did a segment on Armstrong
and the "DO IT shot".  Armstrong outlined the situation that the shot
could be attempted and be successful.  I believe that Armstrong was the
only person before Mike Legg to use the shot in a game (AHL and IHL), and
you don't see a lot of AHL and IHL players are not carrying the puck on
their sticks.

one persons opinion

KP