From:
Greg Berge <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Greg Berge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Apr 1996 15:40:39 EST
Just when I begin to think that Cornell might be approaching The Big
Time, John goes and burst the balloon.  Roughly, Michigan players play
in three years the number of games Cornellians do in four (120).
UM has five 100 career point scorers (one almost at 200) in one junior class!
Cornell has produced maybe five career 100 point scorers since I became
a fan (15 seasons, 18 classes).

Here is how I would compare between classes.  Take all players' career Pts
and GP.  Compare classes by total Pts/GP for top player, top 2... and have
one champion for each depth 1 to N.

Looks to me that Michigan would probably have N = 5 sewn up.  Maybe N = 4,
too.  Maybe for all NCAA history; clearly for recent history.

I imagine Kariya is the all-time P/G leader (thus, Maine '96 would head N = 1).
Hey, maybe Perrin-St. Louis give UVM '97 the lead for N = 2.  And I
think Ned Harkness recruited about 20 guys for Cornell's class of '69,
so we might get N = 20 by default.   :-)

Anybody with a good enough database could give us the real numbers
in .05 CPU seconds.

Greg R. Berge
Cornell.  Not again.
Ivy League and ECAC Champions
Let's Go Red!

"You can't relive the past."
"What are you talking about?  OF COURSE you can...  Of course you can."

                                 - Gatzby