From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Apr 1996 14:46:00 EDT
Tony Frolik writes...
>Last night on the 6PM news here in Duluth on channel 3, in an "exclusive"
>interview with Bruce Mcleod, McLeod said that he would like to see the WCHA
>keep all the current teams, add MSU and UNO, and have 3 4-team divisions.

Sweet!  3 divisional opponents x 4 games = 12.  8 non-divisional
opponents x 2 games = 16.  12 + 16 = a 28 game schedule.  The
WCHA would actually be able to play some non-conference
games.  It would be tough to balance wrt home/away given outliers
such as Anchorage and Omaha, but...

Of course, the WCHA would probably find a way to play 32 games
regardless. :-)

Lee Urton (who I love disagreeing with :-) writes...
>Finally, one last comment on the Alaska travel situation. I don't think
>it is possible to compare bus rides and plane rides. A five hour bus ride
>is not comparable to a five hour flight, nor is 45 minutes by bus the
>same as 45 minutes by air. It would be great if that were the case, but
>anyone who suggests that it is hasn't had much experience flying (or too
>much, perhaps).

Point well taken.  Actually, no disagreement here.  I just want to
point out that in my post I compared a flight between UAA and
UAF (45-50 minutes air time) to a bus ride between Michigan and
Western Michigan (100-120 minutes or much more depending on
road conditions).  It wasn't a 1:1 air:bus comparison.

RE: UAF-WMU
I recently commented on how playing at UAF on the final weekend
of the regular season hurt WMU, but I've since been told that the
schedule originally called for that series to be a week earlier and
it was moved to accommodate WMU.  So, I no longer feel sorry for
the Broncos.  (I didn't feel too bad for them to begin with. :-)

RE: BEST CLASS
Someone (not a Michigan person, I promise) mentioned in a private
conversation that Michigan's 1997 class has to be one of the best
of our time.  I agree.  I'm tossing it out to the list for comments.  The
first class that comes to my mind is '96 Maine (Paul Kariya, Ferraro
squared, etc) even though the big guns didn't stay.  I posted the
stats last week, but for a refresher Michigan's upcoming senior
class looks like this (career stats through 1995-96):
NO NAME                  POS  YR   GP    G    A  PTS  PIM  +/-
 9 Brendan Morrison       C   JR  112   71  125  196  107   66
19 Jason Botterill        LW  JR  108   67   58  125  354   48
18 John Madden            F   JR  118   54   63  117   67   70
28 Warren Luhning         RW  JR  114   50   62  112  286   70
15 Mike Legg              F   JR  118   39   61  100   66   51
 6 Harold Schock          D   JR  121   10   50   60  152   96
27 Blake Sloan            D   JR  118   10   43   53  163   81
 4 Chris Frescoln         D   JR   63    2   17   19  106   45
 5 Peter Bourke           D   JR   55    2   11   13   28   33
If they had a goaltender, it would be a pretty decent team.  By my
hasty count, they've already accounted for 927 games played and
795 points.  They should top 1200 games and 1100 points sometime
next year.

John H ([log in to unmask])