From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 1996 20:41:52 -0100
At 5:21 PM 4/18/96, Kenneth Michael Baker wrote:
>Also, how are other schedules (WCHA, Hockey East, ECAC) on balance and
>possible bias with 10, 9, and 12 teams respectively in each of these leagues?

ECAC teams play each of 11 opponents twice - once at home, once away.

In HE, with 8 opponents, teams play each other 3x.  You play four teams at
home twice and away once, and the other four, you play at home once and
away twice.  I believe this rotates each year; for example, Merrimack
played at Maine twice last year and will host Maine twice next year.

I don't think there is any set method for determining which teams you host
for the odd game.  Maybe there should be, but how would this be done?  I
suppose there could be a set method based on the previous year's (or
several years) standings, but then it would not be possible to draw up the
schedule until after the previous season ended.

And depending on the standings, it would be possible that two teams would
go several years straight with the odd game always being played at the same
team.  I believe the goal is simply to rotate the scheduling so that over
any two-year period against all of the other 8 teams, you will play each
team away 3x and home 3x.

Mike Machnik                   [log in to unmask]            *HMM* 11/13/93