From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Apr 1996 14:36:10 -0500
At 01:22 PM 4/6/96 -0500, Greg Weintraub wrote:

>I can't help but question a STUDENT-athlete leaving school a month before
>completing a degree.  It really drives home a point that college sports
>are really just farm teams for many players.  Seeing players leave for
>the pros after 1 or 2 years is something with which we have all
>learned to live, regrettably IMHO.  To me, having players leaving DURING the
>academic year only looksworse.  Next thing we know, a player will start the
>season on fire and sign a pro contract over New Year's in the middle of the
>season.

Greg used Pandolfo as an example, but I think if you talked to Jay he'd tell
you that he is going to graduate.

The luxary that seniors have is that they can leave in the spring and can
graduate very easily.

For instance, Maine's Brad Purdie's college career was over for two days and
he was already playing pro hockey.  Brad plans to come back to Maine as soon
as the season ends and in three weeks (summer term) he'll have his degree.

Whether it is right or not, that is up to the individual to decide.  I
suspect that Holzinger finished up his degree as well last summer.
Deron Treadwell                                 [log in to unmask]
Orono, Maine                                    GO BRUINS!  GO DUCKS!!