From:
"Todd D. Milewski" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Todd D. Milewski
Date:
Tue, 2 Apr 1996 14:29:12 -0600
At 01:56 PM 4/2/96 -0500, Jow Gladziszewski wrote:

>        Are there any schools other than U of M that are endorsed by a
>big time corporation?  (I know that Penn State's club team is)
>        Do you think that corporate interest in college hockey will develop
>over the next few years, and will we see the Swoosh on more hockey
>sweaters?

As for #1, here at Wisconsin there's a big debate going on as to whether or
not to accept a big deal with Reebok.  I don't know what this would mean for
hockey, but I'm sure they would benefit in some way.  If I recall correctly,
Reebok makes the uniforms for all the olympic hockey teams, so that's
probably what their part would be.

For the second question, I think Nike, Reebok, and whoever else would jump
at outfitting curling teams if there was enough interest, and it got
televised (Not saying anything bad about curling--I personally find it
interesting).  At most major universities, I think hockey teams will get
whatever the football and basketball teams get.  Let's face it, moneywise,
those other two are more important to the Athletic Departments at major schools.

And for schools where hockey is the big draw, until college hockey gets a
national TV contract (hopefully soon), Nike and Reebok will probably stay
away from fear of lack of exposure.

By the way, while we're on the subject, does anyone know why Minnesota still
wears Apex jerseys?  Didn't Apex go out of business last year?  After
designing those Minnesota football jerseys, I can see why!  :)

Any info would be appreciated.

Todd D. Milewski   [log in to unmask]
"U-Rah-Rah Wisconsin!"