Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 1996 13:38:26 -0700
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]> quoth:

>When all three ECAC teams stay East -- ESPECIALLY two lower ranked ones
>than Lowell -- I can only conclude that the ECAC representative has bigger
>testicles than Parker.  When the going gets tough, then Parker takes his BU
>bye and folds.  Thanks for nothing, Jack.

'Scuze me, but I gotta defend my boy Jack.

First of all, the Hockey East representative. is Bob DeGregorio.

Second of all, Parker has shown a *lot* of support over the years for his
HE counterparts, has many colleagues spread throughout HE (as well as other
conferences), and has generally proven to "stick up" for his eastern
counterparts. Additionally, Parker has spoken well for the ECAC, defending
their "western" image of being a completely weak conference.

Now on to the real discussion here...

While I agree with you completely that Lowell got absolutely screwed --
AGAIN -- by the selection committee, I think the key to sending both Lowell
and PC out west was that the committee felt that it "made more sense" to
put ECAC teams at the Knick. It's this same line of horse manure that made
Vermont the #2 eastern seed.

I think it would have been a very different story had the regionals been
played in Worcester or Providence. Unfortunately, the NC$$ is more
concerned with high attendance rather than "fair" seedings; with ECAC teams
in Albany, they're almost guaranteed a sellout. With Hockey East teams, the
sellout wouldn't be certain (but I'm sure it would be damn close enough...
grumble)

Unfortunately, the committee also seems much more concerned with creating
"even" matchups, and not having conference rivals play each other "too
early." Well Michigan and Minnesota aren't in the same conference, but it
looks like they'll be playing each other in the QUARTERFINALS. Sheeesh.

>But times have changed.  In Mike Madden's article in the Globe about the
>UML-Maine game he referred to a Maine goal in the following way: "The
>deflection beat goalie Martin Fillion, and the Lowell fans in the FleetCenter,
>by far the loudest, suddenly were quiet."  By far the loudest?  With BU and
>Maine also playing?  Yes, I know BU had the 5 o'clock game and it's a long
>Friday drive for Maine fans, but Lowell had *by far the loudest fans.*  Lowell
>fans are no longer irrelevant and no longer a joke.  And their team deserves
>that fan support.

Again, I agree. I was at a BU-Lowell game this year at Walter Brown, and
was very impressed with the support that the Riverhawks now entertain. Over
the last few years, Lowell fans have increasingly shown their pride in
their team, as well as a devotion to following the team to the ends of the
earth.

>So for the second time in three years UMass-Lowell has gotten shipped West
>while lower ranked Eastern teams stay home.   Tim Brule applauded the committee
>for "having the guts to send LSSU east and Lowell west."  I'm applauding
>the committee too.  With my middle finger.

:-)