From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 1996 14:06:00 EST
I apologize for not getting this information out sooner.
The Dekers (Michigan hockey boosters) are in the
process of writing a general press release and a letter
to accompany the check to the Travis Roy Fund.

Ticket sales for the jersey raffle and a few miscellaneous
donations have generated $7500+ for the TRF!  A final
total will be available sometime next week, but it will be
slightly more than $7500.

If you're looking to identify the culprits involved, I think (hope)
the following list identifies all appropriate organizations:

 * Michigan, Michigan State, Michigan Tech, Northern Michigan
and the Detroit Red Wings donated the jerseys and helped
to promote the event.
 * Joe Louis Arena allowed it to take place at JLA, helped
promote (including mentions on holiday Red Wing broadcasts)
and were a great help with the actual implementation,
supplying tables, chairs, display stands for the jerseys, etc.
 * The two "ticket spots" inside of JLA were staffed by members
of the UM, MSU and MTU boosters (including Garrett Lanzy
clad in a Hockey-L sweatshirt :-) and by several members of
Alpha Phi Omega, primarily the MTU chapter.  I'll give an
extra plug to APO.  I wasn't familiar with them prior to the GLI,
but they stepped right up and asked to be involved.  As far
as I can tell, APO is a fun-loving, hard-working group of people
that love to assist a good cause.
 * USA TODAY publicized it on the WWW, which helped us
sell tickets to persons not attending the GLI.
 * The UM Dekers Blue Line Club covered all of the costs
(ticket printing, signs, raffle license, etc) so all of the proceeds
would go directly to Travis' fund and members of the Dekers
and WTKA radio (home of Michigan hockey) did most of the
brainstorming, organizing, etc.

Of course, thanks to everyone that bought tickets.  As Garrett
said, the ticket purchasers were primarily college hockey fans
like you and I.  Among those that I sold to, it ranged from folks
that walked up to our area and asked "Who is Travis Roy?"
(then experienced the initial shock of hearing Travis' story
from one of the ticket sellers or reading one of the articles
available at the table) to students from BU spending the holidays
in SE Michigan who were all too well aware of Travis' story,
and were quick to buy tickets even though I'm sure they'd
already given in the Boston area.  Also, I think everyone that
asked "Who is Travis Roy?" bought at least one ticket after
hearing the answer.

John Haeussler ([log in to unmask])