Date:
Fri, 8 Nov 1991 10:57:32 EST
MARQUETTE -- Northern Michigan used two goals by Jim Hiller and a
goal and two assists from Scott Beattie to defeat No. 2 ranked and
previously unbeaten Lake Superior State, 4-1, at Lakeview Arena
Thursday night.

The Wildcats outshot the visiting Lakers, 28-16.  Dan Ruoho added a
power-play goal for NMU (3-2-2 overall), while Vince Faucher had the
lone LSSU (5-1 overall) marker.

NMU freshman goalie Corwin Saurdiff made 15 saves in another solid
performance, while LSSU's Darrin Madeley made 24 stops, several of
the outstanding variety.

The two teams square off again Saturday in Sault Ste. Marie.

From a personal commentary standpoint, this might have been the best
thing to happen to Northern Michigan.  I think playing a team the
caliber of Lake Superior State really got our guys going and playing
up to that level (not to take anything away from the teams we`ve
played already this season).  LSSU forechecks hard and keeps you on
your toes.  NMU played its best defensive game of the season, holding
the Lakers to just 16 shots on goal and 0-for-8 on the power-play.

Justin Doherty
Northern Michigan