From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 1995 00:55:36 -0100
At 12:22 PM 10/11/95, Carol S White wrote:
>From an article by John Gilbert in the Star Tribune 10/11/95:
>While NCAA calls for an immediate suspension, plus one additional
>game for a disqualification, with an additional game added on for
>each additional disqualification, the WCHA will go from a one-game
>suspension for t he first infraction to a three-game for the second
>and the rest of the season for the third.

This is interesting, especially because it stands for *all* DQs.  Several
years ago after brawls in consecutive seasons involving Northeastern,
then-HE commissioner Stu Haskell implemented a policy whereby a fighting DQ
in an HE game earned the combatant an additional game suspension from the
league.  However, I am under the impression that this has since been
rescinded.

Will the WCHA rule make referees less likely to assess DQs to players who
already have one or two?  And, what about situations where a player with no
prior DQs tries to antagonize an opponent with one or two DQs on his
record?  These are just a couple of things to watch for.

>It also means that disqualifications are carried over from exhibition
>games. Michigan Tech is painfully aware of this.
>
>Jarkko Ruutu, a talented freshman winger from Finland, was jumped
>from behind by a player during an exhibition game against Laurentian,
>a Canadian college last weekend.

I was under the impression that MTU was not calling the game an exhibition,
that it would count in MTU's overall record/stats but of course not in
their NCAA record/stats.  Am I wrong?

Mike Machnik                   [log in to unmask]            *HMM* 11/13/93