From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Oct 1995 12:13:36 EDT
Paul Thalacker writes:
>One last bit.  I distinctly remember Pam Sweeney making a comment on
>hockey-l a couple years ago after UMD beat UM in a game.  It went
>something like "At least we don't use Canadians".

I did not distinctly remember such a quote, so, at the risk of pouring gasoline
on a roaring fire, I did a quick archive search and found the following, from
Pam's report on UMD's 5-1 win over UM on 2/6/94:

>So it was kind of a disappointing end to a great streak.  But it was still a
>mighty impressive roll for a team that started out 0-5-1 to manage a streak of
>14-1-2 in league play.  And they did it without any Canadian players!  ( :-)
>Sorry, I couldn't resist, in light of all that furor after Thanksgiving.)

How a reader perceives that comment is, of course, a matter of personal
opinion.  My own is that it was obviously meant to be humorous and light-
hearted, and not malicious or xenophobic.

Personally, I think this whole thread has degenerated far enough.

--
Disclaimer -- Unless otherwise noted, all opinions expressed above are
              strictly those of:

Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86 and '95
LET'S GO RED!!
Rebuild the Tradition                                           DJF  5/27/94
"'Does he talk?'  'Uh, no.'  'Does he walk?'  'Uh, no.'  'Does he crawl?'
 'Uh, no, he doesn't do any of those things.  YOU try dragging him away from
 the computer.'"
-- Monica Piper, on handling competitive my-baby-is-better-than-yours parents