From:
Unibomber <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Unibomber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 1995 18:54:00 -0500
Hello out there. I want to ask a question and make a couple comments. The
question is for those people who are from the east, but anyone can
respond. Last year, I saw the most disturbing thing I have ever seen at a
college hockey game. The Gophers had traveled to Grand Forks North Dakota
to play the Fighting Sioux. The Sioux dominated much of the game, but the
Gophers never say die and came back and scored the game tying goal with
only 2 seconds in the game. An unforgettable moment for anyone at
Englestad Arena that November evening. OT came and went with nobody
scoring so the final was 4-4.  The Sioux fans were very upset over the
comback and started throwing "AllSport" bottles all over the ice.
I would say at least 100 were tossed onto the ice sheet. If that wasn't
disturbing enough, they were not happy til' they had hit coach Doug Woog
and a number of Gopher players many times with bottles. The next evening,
the Sioux won a close game 4-3. The same thing happened at a great magnitude.

     Now to me, there is no excuse for that. I lost a lot of respect for
the fans of North Dakota.  I was curious as to whether or not this
happens in the ECHA or in HL.  Those from CCHA and WCHA write too cause I
am wondering how the class of fans changes throughout the country.
Kind of a weird topic, but the attitude and antics of fans play a major
role in the game.  As a big fan of the Gophers, I know there are many
cheers that keep the students and other fans involved right down to the
end at Mariucci. That is fan spirit, not throwing empty (even full)
bottles on the ice. Anything on the ice. I think that showed lack of
unity. Well, just a thought! Thanks for the time.

                              aaron.

             .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..
             :       *******   *******      :Tom Gegax for Pres in "96"
             :        *****     *****       :3 Days Until Gopher Hockey
             :       **** *** *** ****      :Season Starts!!
             :     ****   ******    ****    :October 13-14th Wknd 1
             :   *******           *******  :Minnesota @ Mich Tech
             :     H   O   C   K   E   Y    :*Hey Drop The Puck*