From:
Tony Buffa <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tony Buffa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jul 1995 09:20:20 -0700
Someone asked, a while ago [I think Jayson Moy] about how much assistant
hockey coaches were paid in the sense that it seemed a lot of them were
leaving to go into private business ....

I just ran across an advertisement in our local campus faculty/staff
weekly newsletter here at Cal Poly which may shed some light on it.

Div I, Asst. Women's basketball coach:  (Salary 39,360 fulltime, 12 month
apptment,avail immediately) Undergrad degree required. Coaching exp at the
Div I level preferred. Demonstrated ability in recruiting, publ speaking,
committment to academics and NCAA rules compliance required.  Etc, etc.

I don't know if this is comparable to hockey coaches, as the analogy is
stretching it a bit ..... women's, west coast, different sport, etc.  But
maybe this is a starting data point.

As a reference, this is considerably more than we hire new PhD's
[Assistant Professor level] onto the faculty, people already usually
finshed grad school and at least one post-Doc appointment and in their
early 30s, but then again, all the faculty member has to do it teach and do
research :-)

Tony Buffa
Physics Dept
Cal Poly (SLO)