From:
Karen Heasley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karen Heasley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jul 1995 00:48:27 -0700
I was fortunate enough to get up to Denver today and see both the bronze
and gold games.  It was great to see some of the best players there.  I liked
that a lot of the players were wearing their own equipment, because then
you could tell what teams they are from, and see the different helmet
designs.  Speaking of which, can someone from BU explain the significance
of the different number of pawprints on the helmet?  I noticed they weren't
all the same and was curious about it.
        The bronze game was between the East and West teams.  The first
period was scoreless, but there was end to end action.  Early in the second,
East struck first, breaking the scoreless tie.  Halfway into the period,
West came back to tie up the game, and a few minutes later took the lead.
The score was 2-1 West after two periods.  In the third, East tied it up
again, but West later regained the lead, scoring from a scramble in front of
the net.  A little scuffle ensued shortly after the goal, and O'Sullivan
and Welsing were given 5 minutes for fighting and a game misconduct.  West
quickly capitalized and scored again to take a two goal lead.  It was too
early for West to celebrate, though, and East came back with two goals to
tie the game at 4 and send it into overtime.  Luckily for Don Lucia, this
game didn't end the way his last overtime one did, and West won the bronze
with a goal a few minutes into overtime.  Both teams played well and it was
a great game to watch.
        After leaving and grabbing a bite to eat during the couple of hours
between games, we came back at 6 for the gold medal game between the North
and South teams.  This game was definitely fast-paced and exciting to watch,
although at times it seemed to be a little too fast, as possession of the
puck bounced back and forth between players.  The crowd at the Coliseum was
fairly good sized,and seemed to be mostly rooting for North, as John
Grahame, the hometown player from Denver, was on that team.  South took the
lead first, but North tied it up before the end of the first, giving a score
of 1-1 and even shots on goal.  The beginning of the second period was wild,
as South scored 30 seconds and 45 seconds into the period to take a quick
two goal lead.  North got one of those goals back a minute and a half later.
With about 12 minutes left in the period, both teams switched goaltenders to
give everyone an equal chance to play in the game.  North would keep coming
back, and the teams were tied at the end of two.  In the third was more
great playing, both in shots and saves, but no one could break through and
take the lead until 1:04 left in the game when North finally got a score.
South called a timeout, and with 30 seconds to play pulled the goaltender,
but it didn't work out as planned and North got an empty-netter to win the
game 6-4 and claim the gold medal.  It was another great game where you
didn't know the outcome until the last seconds of the game.  After the game
was the medal presentations to the North, South, and West teams.
        Sorry I don't really have very many names to go with this, but I was
enjoying watching the games, not taking notes. :)  Hopefully someone else
will be able to post a box score soon.  I'm glad the festival was in Colorado
this year and I was able to see some great hockey.  Also a good place to stay
cool when it's 90 something outside. :)

Karen Heasley
Colorado College '95
[log in to unmask]   *  [log in to unmask]

1995 WCHA Regular Season Champions
CC Hockey home page: http://www.cc.colorado.edu/sports/hockey/