From:
Ryan Robbins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ryan Robbins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 May 1995 00:27:17 EDT
>To deny the non-seniors this opportunity on the basis of "eligibility" simply
>doesn't make sense.  Tell me, Ryan, what's the extra benefit here?

The NCAA manual states that student-athletes cannot receive benefits
that are not "expressly authorized by NCAA legislation." There is no
mention of throwing out first pitches at baseball games, or any other
ceremonial act at other sporting events. However, there is a specific
provision allowing teams to be given a trip to the White House to
meet the president of the United States.

>And I would like you to compare the White House vs. Fenway Park.
>Are they not *both* based on athletics?

While a trip to the White House to meet the president and a trip to
Fenway Park are based on athletics, the distinction is people don't
have to pay to visit the White House.

I don't think people realize that the NCAA isn't some independent
regulating body that arbitrarily places rules and regulations on
its members. Its members ARE the NCAA; they approved each and every
rule and regulation. There's no reason for anyone to whine. If the
schools thought the rule was stupid, they never would have approved
it or they would have repealed it.
Ryan Robbins               "Nothing in fine print is ever good news."
University of Maine                                  -- Andy Rooney