From:
Chuck Sackett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chuck Sackett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 1995 18:11:00 C
>I've seen a number of article about Carey and interviews with him and he
>credits his U. Wisconsin goalie coach with making him the goalie he is
>today. When he got to Wisconsin he did a lot of flopping and the goalie
>coach made him completely change his style. He said that lot of times
>he'd come off the ice and complain that he couldn't possibly stop pucks
>in that way, that he'd never be able to play the way the coach wanted. By
>the end of his freshman year it was beginning to work. Carey says he'd
>never have gotten where he is today if the goalie coach at U. Wisconsin
>hadn't taught him.

Well, I guess our goalie recruiting is done for the next couple of years.

:)

When current Maine assistant Grant Standbrook was at Wisconsin, he had a
reputation as an excellent recruiter and may have been instrumental in
bringing in goaltending talent (I don't recall what year he left UW).  It
seems as though he may be doing the same at Maine (Snow, Dunham).

Bill Howard (CC alum under Badger Bob) has been the reason why many of the
goalies at Wisconsin have achieved such success after coming to the Badgers.
Unfortunately, the current 3 ex-Badger goalies in the NHL (Richter, Joseph,
Carey) have stayed at Wisconsin for an average of 1.67 years (if my memory
serves me correctly, Richter was a Badger for only 2 years, but it may have
been 3).  The unfortunate thing about such success in goal is that this kind
of talent rarely hangs around for more than 2 years and you're left with a
big hole to fill.  Former Badger and ex-Hobey Baker candidate Duane Derksen
was a freshman the same year as Curtis Joseph and may never have seen the
light of day if Joseph had hung around for 4 years.

On a slightly different goalie topic. . . .what does the emergence of Tom
Noble at BU mean for J.P. McKersie next year?  How is his rehab coming along
and does coach Parker still expect that McKersie will be able to return to
the nets?  If he does, and if he were able to perform at or near his former
level, would BU be looking at a rotating goalie system again?

Chuck
ON WISCONSIN!!!