From:
Tony Biscardi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tony Biscardi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Sep 1994 19:48:36 -0400
In regards to Merrimack, 1st of all, I also picked them #5 in the conference.

They had a LOT of young talent last year balanced throughout the team.

They will not have the talent of a UNH, Maine, NU, or BU, they will not have
the turmoil of a BC, Providence (Maine, but I think Maine has a *lot* more
talent), and will not have the decimation of a Lowell or the inexperience of a
UMass/Amherst.

One aspect which has not come up in discussion which I feel will play a *major*
role in Merrimack's season is their schedule.  I'm not just talking about the
fact that they replace games with BU, NU, and Maine with 3 games vs. UMass,
I'm talking about the timing of the games.

Timing is everything!!!

Please do not take this as an insult to any specific teams, but Merrimack's
schedule has them playing teams projected to be of... hmmm... "rebuilding
status" in the early part of the year.  Merrimack not only plays fewer games
vs. BU, NU, and Maine, but does not play those games until January.

For a young and developing team this is key.

Merrimack has the talent to challenge for home-ice in the HE playoffs this
year.  We all know it, it's just that Merrimack may not know it.  For a team
that has been in the lower depths of the league for so long, they have to
realize that they can win.  With the less-difficult part of the schedule coming
in the first half, Merrimack may very well get onto a winning track before they
have to play any top contenders in HE.  With the confidence of a .600-.700
winning % going into the meat of their schedule, Merrimack will not be push-
overs.  Even if they go .500 from Jan-March, they will not be bad, and, if the
winning pulls them together, could be the dark-horse of the league.

The only down side of this is that if they don't win a lot of their early
games, they could be in for a loooonnngg season and in the hunt for a new
coach.

The most frightening part of Merrimack is its youth.  They had what I believe
was the best frosh class in the league last year (overall) and now have a corp
of sophomores who could be dangerous.

So #1, don't get too exited if Merrimack's record looks great by December, they
are not going to be worthy of that top-10 status some of you will pick them at.
But don't write them off either, especially if they start splitting a series
or two with BU, NU, or Maine in January of February.

No matter what, Merrimack will be a *very* interesting team to watch this year.

Just the humble bablings of a crazed hockey fan...

Tony  BU'92'93
Former Ogre