From:
"G.M. Finniss" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 11 May 1994 12:42:00 EST
The Cleveland hockey team that Mark Johnson mentioned was the Cleveland Barons,
who used to be the California Golden Seals and before that the Oakland Seals,
one of six teams that were added to the NHL when the league first expanded in
1967 (the other five: St. Louis Blues, Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Flyers,
Los Angeles Kings, and the Minnesota North Stars).  The Cleveland Barons merged
with the Minnesota North Stars no more than three years before the four ex-WHA
teams joined the NHL (Hartford, Quebec, Winnipeg, Edmonton).

The Kansas City team that Mark mentioned had nothing to do with the Barons.  The
Scouts were added to the NHL in 1975, along with the Washington Capitals, as the
last expansion before the most recent ones (not counting the WHA merger) the
year after the addition of Atlanta and the Islanders.  The Scouts stayed in KC
no more than 2 years before moving to Denver and becoming the original Colorado
Rockies.  When the NHL realigned the divisions (early 1980's, don't remember the
exact year) the Rockies had moved to New Jersey and became the Devils (or, as
Wayne Gretzky put it, the Mickey Mouse organization).

BTW, I sit here typing this with a Devils jersey on, hoping that the Garden
Staters can close out the series tonight.... (No offense to the rather large
number of Bruin fans on the list, I just like the Devils more [plus I'm a
Canadiens fan, and revenge would be SO sweet]).

G. M. Finniss
Michigan State University
WVU '87, UTenn '92, MSU who the hell knows when?
waiting until October 14 and faceoff in Anchorage.....