From:
Robert Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 1993 16:02:22 -0400
I'm taking this from Jack Craig's "SporTView" column in today's Boston
Globe:

        "Game of Choice"

"For all around sports fans in this area (Boston) there was a miserable
conflict Saturday night between the Michigan-Kentucky basketball game on CBS
and the Maine-Lake Superior State hockey championship game on ESPN. Worse
the dramatic finishes took place simultaneously. In most of the country
there was no problem. If last spring is a guide about 12 million homes
were tuned in to basketball and about 400 000 to hockey. But Maine-LSSU
deserved better and the NC$$ knows it. "We're thinking about the hockey
situation" Phil Buttafuoco of the NC$$ said from Kansas City yesterday.
(yeah sure...about wether or not to push hockey back to 3 am tape delay --Sid)
"We have some options." One would be to escape the ESPN contract with four
years to run and put the title game on Prime Network live or on tape at the
discretion of the outlet (which is NESN in New England). ESPN began to televise
the hockey championship on Saturday nights in 1985 to avoid the basketball
Final Four which was then on CBS in the afternoon and early evening. When
basketball shifted in 1988 to the current schedule ESPN put the Wisconsin
-Colgate title game on seven-day delay. (YEECCHHH! --Sid)  Since then it has
returned to nighttime with dreadful results.

                                                --Jack Craig

Keep your fingers crossed...

--Sid Whitaker
BU '94