From:
"Craig A. McGowan" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig A. McGowan
Date:
Mon, 27 Jan 1992 19:47:43 EST
Keith's analysis of connectivity helps put the NC$$ schedule reductions in
one perspective.  I would like to see a different perspective: inter-division
connectivity.  To me the numbers showing average connectivity "fuzz" the
issue of ranking top teams in each division relative to each other.

What I am still struggling with is:  how much less sure are we of the
relative standings of the top 12 teams this year vs. last year?  Let me
illustrate the point I am to make:

	 Div X		 Div Y
	-------		-------
	team x1		team y1
	team x2		team y2
	team x3		team y3
	team x4		team y4
	team x5		team y5
	team x6		team y6

In case #1, each team plays each other team in it's division 2 times, plus
the teams in the other division once.  Therefore, it plays 16 games (5x2
intra-division, 6 inter-division).  Of these 16 games, 11 are "new
connections" and 5 are "repeats".

In case #2, each team plays the same intra-divisional schedule, but plays
only 1 inter-divisional game.  Thus, there are 6 "new connections" and 5
"repeats".

Comparing the two scenarios:

			case #1		case#2		%change
total new		11			6		~45%
interdiv new	 5			1		~400%

While this is a crude analysis, one might quickly see that by separating the
out the "inters", we see a large magnitude change.  If we don't separate them,
the change looks smaller.

Conclusion: ranking is an art, not a science :-).
--
Craig McGowan