From:
Keith Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Keith Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1993 15:06:49 EST
This has been quite an impressive barrage of comments on the bands issue.
I was impressed. A few more comments:

-From a few unnamed sources here, the complaints about the bands have come
from the season ticket holders, not the students. If the entire game was
attended by youth, then noise would be the order of the day.

-Someone mentioned that college hockey was for the players and the fans,
and that locals and alumni come second. I don't hesitate to remind people
of how many operations on campus are made possible by the generousity
of its alumni. If the alumni say jump, the school and its programs will
say 'how high'.

-The response I have gotten over this issue, both on the list and in
private has been about 70/30 in favor of the bands. I knew the support
for the bands was out there in full force, but I was surprised to see
people from big hockey schools stating their opinion about the possible
ban, or at least thinking about regulation or moderation. I would
appreciate it if those people who spoke against the bands were not
heavily flamed by others or were contacted by mail or telephone. That type
of support will fall on deaf ears.

-As far as my experiences go, the bands this year have not been too bad.
RPI was loud and they played generally good music. My father's complaint
was that they played constantly between periods. I tend to agree on this
point. I would have preferred if the break between periods was kept silent,
at least if the band playing is the visitor. I had to yell to people to
get them to hear me when they came to visit me during the break, and they
were standing right next to me. I expect that from a frat party, not my home
rink. Clarkson wasn't bad, either, nor was brown, although Brown did
play a few tunes while the teams were in play. however, the ref didn't
make a fuss over it and that was that. Cornell will come to Achilles next
week, so we will see what will happen there. If the performance was
anything like last year's impromptu alumni band(they were on break), this
issue should heat up again.

-well, that's about all I have to say right now. All I know is that when you
visit someone, you are a guest. Mind your manners and a good time will be
had for all. Later. Keith.
--
= [log in to unmask] (UNIX)     [log in to unmask] (Internet)=
=      "Beef"        [log in to unmask] (BITNET)   "Beef"           =