From:
Pam Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pam Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jun 1992 10:17:35 CDT

>Keith writes:
>>>* The Committee voted to recommend to the NC$$ Executive Committee that Joe
>>>Louis Arena in Detroit and the Centrum in Worcester, Mass., be selected as
>>>sites for the 1993 West and East regionals, respectively. The regionals will
>>>be March 26-27, 1993. The committee did, however, leave open the possibility
>>>that it may decide to conduct the regionals at on-campus sites after 1993,
>>>noting that the *financial health* of the championship must be maintained.
>>
>>Notice the dates! The games will be played on subsequent days. Good. I bet
>>the executive committee thought the staggered days were the reason for the
>>poor attendance, not the regional sites. We shall see...
>
>We shall see is right.  Does this mean both regionals will be held on
>March 26-27?  I guess if they're not going to be on tv it won't matter, but
>I've been holding out hope of being able to see the other regional's games
>too.  As for the staggered days, I'm not sure that had anything to do

After what happened last year, we in the West are still holding out hope of
seeing OUR OWN regional's games!  Or just our own TEAM's games would at
least be nice...

>with the attendance.  The only thing I can think of is that they are hoping
>this will entice fans to make the trip for the first day; it seemed many fans
>were waiting to see if their team won the first day and then traveling on the
>off day to see them play in the quarterfinals.  Now if they wait to see
>what happens the first night, then they might not be able to make in time
>for the next day's game (especially in the West).

I still don't think there's much appeal in traveling 12 hours to Detroit
to see one hockey game.  Maybe if it were a city where you wouldn't be
afraid to actually go out of doors at night...

One thing I noticed was the LACK of any mention of restoring the second
assistant coaching position.  From what I've read on hockey-l, I assumed
that this would be one of the recommendations from the committee.

Pam Sweeney
Go Gophers!!!