From:
Keith Instone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Keith Instone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jun 1992 09:04:56 EDT
OK, so I am a little behind reading HOCKEY-L. I just wanted to add to
Jim`s Title IX news. At BGSU a few months ago, we had our own ice
arena Title IX debate. A female professor who plays hockey threatened
to sue the university because of unequal showering facilities at the
ice arena. The men had showers and the women didn't! She and other
female hockey players had to get permission to use a men's
locker room when they wanted to clean up after playing hockey. Oddly,
women ice skaters have their own "dry" locker room and they claim that
they do not need a shower.

Anyway, the bigwigs in the athletic department went around and looked,
and by golly, she was right--no shower for the women. They also found
that the locker room facilities were also terrible unequal, so they
evened things out by designating a large shower-laden room for women
(this was more than the professor was asking for).

For large, male events (like a HS boys tournament), the women's
locker room can be used by men, but in general, a woman can now take a
shower at the ice arena any time she wants.

And remember, folks, Title IX is 20 years old.

Keith
PS Yes, this woman has scored a goal on yours-sieve-truly. But it was
a rebound, and I was interferred with, and my skates were dull, and... (^;