From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 26 Jan 1992 00:32:02 EST
Well, I see by the fact that there is no mail that there must be mail
problems here at Merrimack again this weekend, so my postings won't get out
till a day or two late.  Sorry if you were eagerly anticipating that BU-
Merrimack story. :-)

But the purpose of this is to ask: does anyone in the Boston area or from here
remember the Teapot?  This was a sort of DivII Beanpot played in the Boston
Garden each year and it involved Merrimack, Lowell, Salem State, and one other
team by my best determination.  It was held in the late 70s and early 80s.
We were trying to find out when the last time was that Merrimack played in
the Garden, and it appears to have been a 3-2 loss to Lowell in the Teapot
on January 26, 1982.  John Savastano, a long-time member of Merrimack's support
staff, was telling me how the Teapot was cancelled after 1982 when a huge
brawl occurred in this game.  Lowell-Merrimack games used to be known for
their brawls and this time, a bench-clearing brawl on the ice spilled over
into the stands.  It was apparently a pretty ugly incident, and DivII teams
were pretty much banned from the Garden after this.
---
Mike Machnik        [log in to unmask]       [log in to unmask]